Mount Dukono blast sends ash 10 kilometers into the sky as rescue teams battle dangerous conditions on Halmahera island

International_10052026B
Rescue teams battle ash and fire after a deadly volcanic eruption in Indonesia.

Three hikers have died after Mount Dukono, one of Indonesia’s most active volcanoes, erupted on the remote island of Halmahera, sending a towering column of ash into the sky and triggering a difficult rescue operation on its slopes.

The victims were part of a group of around 20 people who had climbed the volcano despite safety restrictions in place around the crater. Authorities said the group included Indonesian and Singaporean hikers. Seventeen people were rescued, some with injuries, while search teams worked in dangerous terrain to recover those who did not survive.

The eruption occurred early on Friday, producing an ash plume estimated at around 10 kilometers high. The blast forced rescue crews to suspend parts of the operation as volcanic activity continued and visibility remained poor. Officials warned that the area around the crater remains highly dangerous because of ashfall, toxic gases, unstable ground and the risk of further eruptions.

Mount Dukono has been under heightened alert for years and access to areas near the crater had already been restricted. Authorities have repeatedly warned residents, tourists and guides not to enter the exclusion zone. The latest tragedy has renewed scrutiny of how hikers were able to reach the volcano despite the ban.

Indonesia sits on the Pacific Ring of Fire, a vast zone of seismic and volcanic activity. The country has more than 100 active volcanoes, and eruptions regularly threaten communities, transport routes and tourism sites. Mount Dukono, in particular, has a long history of frequent eruptions and is closely monitored by Indonesia’s volcanology agency.

Rescue officials said operations were complicated by the continuing volcanic activity and the rugged conditions near the summit. Drones and specialist teams were deployed to assist the search, while local authorities urged the public to avoid the area until conditions stabilize.

The incident is a stark reminder of the risks posed by active volcanoes, even in destinations that attract adventure tourism. For Indonesia, it also raises difficult questions about enforcement, tour operations and the responsibility of guides and visitors when official danger zones are ignored.

Trending

Discover more from The Tower Post

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading